Ministry of Education Mental Health Strategy
As part of the Ontario Mental Health and Addictions Strategy, the Ministry of Education is working with other ministries in continuing to promote positive mental health and support the mental health needs of our students. They have committed to:
- Amend the education curriculum to incorporate mental health promotion and address stigma
- Develop a K-12 Resource Guide for teachers and school staff entitled “Supporting Minds: An Educator’s Guide to Promoting Students’ Mental Health and Well-Being” (hyperlink this)
- Provide support for professional learning in mental health for all Ontario educators
- Fund and support Mental Health Leaders in each Ontario school board. Mental Health Leaders are mental health professionals who work with school staff and collaborate with community mental health agencies to promote clear and integrated access to mental health services and to coordinate mental health initiatives within the school board.
- Implement School Mental Health ASSIST which is a provincial team designed to help Ontario school boards to build capacity to support student mental health and well-being, through effective implementation of research based programs and strategies.
“Every child deserves a champion – an adult who will never give up on them, who understands the power of connection and insists that they become the best that they can possibly be.” Rita Pierson