The Limestone District School Board is committed to the development of healthy and active lifestyles for students. Various programs support students in developing a joy of and appreciation for health, physical activity, social, emotional and personal wellness to promote a lifelong commitment to healthy active living. Explore this section to learn more about fosting health and wellness among our students and staff.
NEW Health & Physical Education Curriculum: The Ontario Ministry of Education has released its revised Health & Physical Education
curriculum for students in Grades 1 to 12. The updated curriculum will reflect health, safety and well-being realities faced by today's students, as well as teaching on healthy relationships, consent, mental health and online safety. In Ontario, the curriculum identifies what students should know and be able to do by the end of each grade or course. The new curriculum supports students to develop the skills and knowledge to:
- Understand themselves and others
- Think critically, and make and promote healthy choices
- Develop and maintain healthy relationships
- Be safe, physically and emotionally
- Be physically active for life and thrive
Ninety per cent of this updated curriculum focuses on the area of healthy living for our students. Ensuring overall student well being, and promoting healthy nutrition education, and physical literacy and activity, have long been priorities of the Board, and are key goals within its strategic plan. To help parents understand the changes and participate in what will be taught to their children, the Ministry has developed several resources which you can find below. The resources include an outline of the new curriculum, guides on the human development and sexual health part of the curriculum, and quick reference sheets about healthy relationships and consent as well as online safety, including the risks of sexting.
The revised curriculum in will be implemented in the 2015-2016 school year.
Supporting Healthy Schools: medical condition fact sheets
- Ready for Kindergarten: produced by KFL&A Public Health to make the link between health and education.
- Student Accident Insurance: All students must have student accident insurance in order to participate in extra-curricular activities such as sports.
- Kids Help Phone: a free, anonymous and confidential phone and online professional counselling service for youth that operates 24/7, 365 days a year.